Monday 18 April 2016

Nyonya & Baba

From the first time I have been staying in Singapore (around end of 2008) until now, I tried many types of cuisines (Western food, Italian food, Korean food, Japanese food, Indonesian food, Singapore food, etc). But I almost never tried Singapore Peranakan food.

If I am not wrong, I only had tried to eat Singapore Peranakan food at 2 different restaurant and this is my first Singapore Peranakan food article on this blog.

I feel a bit sorry as I should try local dishes more than other country's food in Singapore. I will do more hunting on Singapore Peranakan food from now on (hope it's not an empty promise from me :p).

In this article, I will review about Nyonya & Baba restaurant. This restaurant is located at Vivo City Mall.

We try Buah Keluak Fried Rice, Nyonya Mee and Chendol.

Buah Keluak Fried Rice is a fried rice mixed with Buah Keluak and they put a lot of crispy anchovies on the top of fried rice. Buah Keluak make this fried rice become a black colour.

For the taste wise, you may expect slight bitter taste that comes from Buah Keluak. Even though a bit bitter, Buah Keluak Fried Rice is delicious and crispy anchovies make the taste perfect.

FYI, Keluak a.k.a Pangium Edule is a tree that grows on the mangrove swamps of Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia and Papua New Guinea). This tree produces a large poisonous fruit (also called the football fruit). Event though it's a poisonous fruit, this fruit become edible by fermentation.


Buah Keluak Fried Rice S$13.00

Nyonya Mee is a noodles filled with streaky pork, shrimps and garnished with Chinese parsley and spring onions. It is served with pineapple, cucumber sauce and pounded chilli.

This Nyonya Mee is not bad and best to eat while it's hot. Pineapple, cucumber sauce and pounded chilli is also nice.
 

Nyonya Mee S$12.00
 
Pineapple, cucumber sauce and pounded chilli
 
Please be noted that both dishes portion are quite big. It can be eaten for two people. They also serve us the Crackers and Achar.
 
Crackers and Achar 
 
From my experience after trying both main dishes at the same time, I suggest you will not make the same mistake as me :) Eating both fried rice and noodle at the same time are really not the best combination unless you have a big appetite. We were very full after finishing both dishes.

I also like the Chendol. It has sweet taste and refreshing.
 
Chendol S$5.50

Will I go there again? Yes.
 
Nyonya & Baba Restaurant
 
Details
Name: Nyonya & Baba
Address: 1 Harbourfront Walk #01-54/56 Vivo City Mall
Nearest MRT: Harbourfront MRT
 
Opening Hours
Daily: 11:00AM - 11:00PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails